Author Invitations, Visits, and Presentations
|Oliver Chin reads
Tales from the Chinese Zodiac
Lawton Elementary, San Francisco, CA.
|Meomi reads The Octonauts
Copperfields Books, Sebastopol, CA
|Jeff Miracola draws
Welcome to Monster Isle
Children’s Book Week, South Milwaukee Public Library, WI
By showing how we create our writings and drawings, we "inspire a world of imagination" in children. The best part of publishing our stories is when we can personally motivate youngsters to create their own ideas - if they can share their art with others, then the cycle starts anew.
We are energetic and flexible public speakers, and offer a variety of programs:
- single classroom story times to large-group presentations
- illustration and writing workshops (parent/child)
- book signing sessions
- lunch/meals with teachers, staff, and parents
We like to address language arts topics and encourage written composition and reading comprehension. Towards these ends, we provide hands-on activities: writing with teacher guides and arts/crafts with coloring pages.
Presentations to Grades K-12We tailor our programs to be age appropriate and to fit within your specific time slots:
A. Preschool, Grades K, 1, 2
- ex. reading a story and relating its plot to common interests
B. Grades 3-5
- ex. emphasize the processes of developing ideas, combining art and writing, and communicating ideas.
C. Combined K-5 assemblies
- ex. highlight what an author does in relation to broader themes (ranging from cultural and seasonal commemorations to school curricula or current events)
D. Middle and high school
- ex. discuss the roles of research and editing, the stages of publishing a book, and influence of comics, graphic novels, anime/manga, animation, and Web.
Small groups, evening programs, and school fundraising
We customize our presentations to your particular subject or event and can speak to a combined audience of students, parents and teachers. For schools, we are happy to coordinate advance book sales with you by customizing flyers and sharing the proceeds with your PTA or administration.
- click here to download a sample Immedium book order form
Class PreparationTeachers can prepare students and faculty to maximize the impact of our visits.
- read our books beforehand
- use our lesson plans for classroom activities.
- discuss relevant topics (ex. Chinese New Year, Oceanography, etc.)
- encourage PTA to participate as volunteers and attendees
We commonly use PowerPoint and/or Adobe Acrobat slideshows and can do live drawings on easels to make our tales come alive in vibrant and memorable ways. We appreciate if you can provide the following audio-visual equipment and set it up:
- Computer (with PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat installed) with a connection to a VGA-compatible projector
- Microphone (clip-on preferred: lavalier/lav/lapel mic)
- Table (ex. 3 x 6 foot) for book displays
When planning your request, please consider the following:
- Lead time: we appreciate 3 to 6 months advance notice
- Agreeing to a basic written contract that confirms the visit's date and time, presentation schedule, and honorarium.
- If overnight travel is required, then specify what transportation, housing, and meals you can provide. Plus indicate whether you can help coordinate additional local presentations (such as announcing our availability to other schools) so we can make the most of our visit.
- Provide your point person's full contact information (name, position, address, phone, email, etc.)
We look forward to visiting your school or organization!
To arrange a visit, please contact us at email@example.com.
Testimonials"Thank you again for making this program happen. This program generated one of the most engaged, full of questions audience that I've seen. It's always fun and enlightening when you come to our library."
- J. Wiepking, Teen Librarian, Saratoga Public Library, CA (7/06)
"The feedback has been incredibly positive. One teacher was so excited because one of her underachieving students identified so strongly with you that it created an inroad for discussion about his performance. Wow!!! Thanks for sharing your time with us."
- R. Ludmer, Teacher-Librarian, Beach Elementary School, Piedmont, CA (11/04)