January 2010 - Immedium
A. Welcome The Year of the Tiger
Teddy the Tiger is our latest hero. He's grrreeeat! Dog owners loved Daniel the Dog from 2006, so this one's for all you cat lovers out there! Chinese New Year is on Valentine's Day - February 14, 2010, so could you ask for anything more?
Our new artist Justin Roth (who illustrated our recent story Baltazar and the Flying Pirates) takes the baton from much appreciated Jeremiah Alcorn to create a whole new batch of 12 engaging animals. Justin and author Oliver Chin will share Teddy's escapades with youngsters nationwide, as our schedule of readings at schools, libraries, and museums continues to grow. Mark your calendars to come see the Teddy the Tiger in living color - if you're interested in a visit, please let us know!
The current season's tale, The Year of the Ox, was featured in the September 2009 issue of the magazine BabyTalk. The book was in the section "Cravings: stuff we love" as a recommended item for one's "Zen Baby: get your baby to relax in style with picks that just might help to calm your little one."
B. Octonauts in the news
"This latest adventure has the Octonauts (eight explorers who live in an octopus shaped city under the sea) trying to fi nd out what happened to make a coral reef city a ghost town. Meomi's stylized, colorful illustrations delight."
In the same issue, the article "We All Live in a Pink Octopod" interviews Meomi's Vicki Wong:
"Graphic design team Meomi, made up of Vicki Wong and Michael Murphy, has created hundreds of super-cute illustrations, logos, and characters for a wide variety of companies and media. In 2006, they turned to children's books, with the first book in the Octonauts series, The Octonauts and the Only Lonely Monster. The latest installment in the series, The Octonauts and the Great Ghost Reef, arrived in bookstores in October. P&C asked Vicki Wong to fill us in on the story behind the Octonauts and tell us a little bit more about Meomi."
Read the whole story here.
C. Award for Welcome to Monster Isle
We are happy to announce that our recent yarn Welcome to Monster Isle won the Bookbuilders West 39th annual Book Award for best children's book.
Bookbuilders West (www.bookbuilders.org) was founded in 1969 in San Francisco as a nonprofit trade association supporting book production professionals in the 13 Western States. Their Annual Book Show recognizes the best publications for excellence in design and manufacturing quality.
We thank illustrator Jeff Miracola, whose work invigorated Welcome to Monster Isle to the Nth degree. As the Reading Tub wrote: "The grinning, menacing mountain on the front cover captured our child's interest, as did the brightly colored monsters inside…[Miracola's] grinning monsters make this a fun adventure to share."
See for yourself at www.monsterisle.net
Baltazar and the Flying Pirates
(ISBN: 978-1-59702-018-3, $15.95)
"Delightful, lively illustrations keep the adventure leaping ahead as all eyes are on the prize. Baltazar and the Flying Pirates is a treat to read and to experience. It will appeal to kids age 6 and up. Promises of a sequel adventure are to be kept!"
- Midwest Book Review
The Octonauts & the Frown Fish
(ISBN: 978-1-59702-014-5, $15.95)
"My girls, ages 5 and 7, really liked it. I loved the beautiful and vivid illustrations of the wonderful characters and the lovely and unique ocean floor."
- Asian Mommy
- 1/3: Oliver Chin: YOT: Kepler's: 1010 El Camino Real, Menlo Park, CA, (650) 324-4321, 11:30 am.
- 1/9: Oliver Chin: YOT: Oshogatsu Matsuri - New Year Celebration: JCCCNC, 1840 Sutter Street, Suite 201, San Francisco, CA, 415-567-5505, 11 am.
- 1/22: Oliver Chin: Manga Drawing Workshop: Oakley Library, Oakley Library 1050 Neroly Rd., Oakley, CA 94561, 925-625-2400, 3:30 pm.
- 1/26: Oliver Chin: YOT: Cabrillo School, 601 Crespi Drive, Pacifica, CA 94044, 10 am.
- 1/27: Bookbuilders West: 39th Annual Book Show, 680 Second Street, 4th Floor, San Francisco, CA, 5:30 pm
- Feb 09: Oliver Chin: Kid Lit Salon - Book Passage, 51 Tamal Vista Blvd., Corte Madera, CA, 7 pm.
- 2/1: Oliver Chin: YOT: Yew Chung International School, 310 Easy Street, Mountain View, CA 94043, 8:30 am.
- 2/2: Oliver Chin: YOT: Serendipity School, 2820 Ponce Avenue, Belmont, CA 94002, 650-596-9100, 9 am.
- 2/3: Oliver Chin: Comics Workshop: San Francisco Public Library, Visitacion Valley branch, CA, 4 pm.
- 2/5: Oliver Chin: Comics Workshop: San Francisco Public Library, Portola branch, CA, 3:30 pm
- 2/6: Justin Roth: YOT: Asia Society, New York, NY, 3 pm.
- 2/6: Immedium: FCC - Southern California, Los Angeles, CA.
- 2/7: Justin Roth: YOT: China Institute, New York, NY.
- 2/7: Oliver Chin: YOT: Asian Art Museum of San Francisco, Family Art Encounter, 2 pm.
- 2/8: Oliver Chin: YOT: San Bruno Library, 701 Angus Avenue West, San Bruno, CA 94066, 6:30 pm.
- 2/10: Oliver Chin: YOT: Chinese American International School, San Francisco, CA, am.
- 2/10: Oliver Chin: YOT: Books Inc, 1375 Burlingame Ave, Burlingame, CA 94010, 7 pm.
- 2/11: Oliver Chin: YOT: Sunset Elementary School, 1920 41st Avenue, San Francisco, CA, am.
- 2/12: Oliver Chin: YOT: George Peabody Elementary School, 251 6th Avenue, San Francisco, CA, am.
- 2/13: Oliver Chin: YOT: Ortega Public Library, San Francisco, CA, 1 pm.
- 2/14: Oliver Chin: YOT: Golden Gate Conservancy: Crissy Field Warming Hut Bookstore/Cafe, San Francisco, CA, 1-3 pm.
- 2/16: Oliver Chin: YOT: S. San Francisco Public Library, Grand Ave Branch Library, 306 Walnut Avenue, SSF, CA, 4 pm.
- 2/16: Oliver Chin: YOT: Menlo Park Library, 800 Alma St., Menlo Park, CA 94025, 7 pm.
- 2/17: Oliver Chin: YOT: Ohlone Elementary School, 950 Amarillo Avenue Palo Alto, CA 94303,(650) 856-1726, 8:30 am
- 2/17: Oliver Chin: Manga Drawing Workshop: Foster City Library, 1000 E Hillsdale Blvd, Foster City, CA 94404, 3:30 pm.
- 2/17: Oliver Chin: YOT: Foster City Library, 1000 E Hillsdale Blvd, Foster City, CA 94404, 7 pm.
- 2/18: Oliver Chin: YOT: San Carlos Library, 610 Elm, San Carlos CA 94070, 650-591-0341, 4 pm.
- 2/19: Oliver Chin: YOT: St. James' Episcopal School, 625 S. St. Andrews Place, Los Angeles, CA, am.
- 2/20: Oliver Chin: YOT: Huntington Library, San Marino, CA.
- 2/21: Oliver Chin: YOT: Bowers Museum - Kidseum, Santa Ana, CA.
- 2/27: Oliver Chin: YOT: Phoebe Chen's Saturday Chinese Classes, Berkeley, CA, am.
- 2/27: Oliver Chin: YOT: Redwood Empire Chinese Association, Veterans Mem. Bldg, 1351 Maple Ave, Santa Rosa, CA, 5 pm.
- 2/27: Immedium: San Francisco Symphony, San Francisco, CA.
- 2/27: Immedium: FCC - Southern California, Los Angeles, CA.
- 2/28: Oliver Chin: YOT: Chinese Cultural Education Association, Oakland, CA 4:30 pm.
Fly high, you tigers!
P.O. Box 31846
San Francisco, CA 94131
Immedium, Inc. inspires a world of imagination, and creates entertaining books that have multi-dimensional appeal. Based in San Francisco, CA, Immedium sits on the Pacific Rim, a vibrant intersection for crossover cultural trends from Asia and America. Embracing an increasingly diverse and "multimedia" world, Immedium publishes titles ranging from eye-catching children's books and contemporary non-fiction to commentaries on art and popular culture. Visit us at www.immedium.com.
|Bookmark our Blog||Add us on Twitter||Snag a T-shirt|