November 2009 - Immedium
A. Meomi's new Octonauts' book takes off!
The Octonauts & the Great Ghost Reef has arrived, chock full of delightful surprises!
The authors Meomi visit the San Francisco area from 11/12-11/14 to read the fourth adventure of the lively crew of the Octopod. Enjoy a story time in the East Bay (Concord and Berkeley), North Bay (Corte Madera), and San Francisco (Downtown and Castro districts).
Sales at Books Inc (Berkeley) will benefit the Coral Reef Alliance (CORAL.org), the only international organization working exclusively to save coral reefs!
While in town, Meomi will autograph copies for everyone who has pre-ordered it from our website. We'll mail them pronto - thank you very much!
"The right word to describe this book is kawaii: tender characters with big eyes and rounded features that move in a delicate pastel coloured sea with good feelings such as friendship and ecology. Thanks to this modern fable, the Octonauts and young readers will learn to know the secrets of nature and the right way to live in harmony with it."
- Non Solo Kawaii
B. The Year of the Tiger on the prowl
The fifth tale in our Chinese New Year series is just around the bend and features a furry feline!
Teddy the Tiger is the prince of the jungle, but his royal parents warn him to stay away from people at all costs! After Teddy befriends the girl Su, will the forest be big enough for man and beast?
Colorfully illustrated by artist Justin Roth (who inked the recent voyage Baltazar and the Flying Pirates), this story explores new territory with a fresh cast of twelve animals. The book will be available before Thanksgiving and is an ideal holiday present before the new year of 2010.
"I was first introduced to your books when I was working with Kidspace Museum in Pasadena, and fell in love with them. Not only as an auntie to my nephew, but as an adult myself! When I came to The Huntington, you can imagine my happiness to know that you annually contribute to our Chinese New Year family festival. I look forward to your books each year and can't wait for the fun adventures The Year of the Tiger will take us to!"
- Julianne Johnston, Youth & Family Programs, Huntington Library, San Marino, CA
C. Train T-shirts and Pirate Contest
This summer we made a small batch of t-shirts that feature the center spread from our popular railroad book Timmy and Tammy's Train of Thought. They've nearly sold out, so we've reprinted another bunch!
They are available in children's sizes 2T, 3T, XS (extra Small Youth), and Small (Youth). They are only $10 (+ shipping). They'd make a special holiday gift for your favorite little engineer so order one today!
Story times for Baltazar and the Flying Pirates continue this month. Catch a reading near you!
Author Oliver Chin spins the yarn at Book Passage on November 6th and Kepler's bookstore on November 8th in Northern California. Meanwhile illustrator Justin Roth shows kids the write stuff and teach them how to make their own pirate swag at the Long Island Children's Museum on November 11th.
Remember to enter our special giveaway! One lucky winner will get an autographed 11 x 14 inch photo print of the book's cover! Email us us a photo (or link to one) where your child (or you) is dressed up like a character from the story and holds a copy of the book.
Again, the submissions deadline in November 30th and we'll announce the lucky winner in the December newsletter.
Desert to Dream: A Decade of Burning Man Photography
(ISBN: 1-59702-003-6, $29.95)
"Required Burning Man reading: This photographic record shows the evolution of Burning Man from infancy to pop-culture destination through Traub's photography with help from filmmaker Les Blank, Burning Man founder Larry Harvey, and poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti."
- Susan Skorupa, Reno Gazette-Journal, August 30, 2009
"The Octonauts are Diesel Oakland's favorite team of underwater animal explorers. Cute, colorful, imaginative, and action-packed, their exploits appear in four volumes…Their mission? To investigate the mysteries of the deep and to help their fellow creatures. Kids will love the fact that The Octonauts have their own unique personalities, a deep sea workstation in which they live and play, and jobs just like real scientist-explorers. Adults will appreciate the cool graphics and quirky humor. And both will look forward to the vibrant illustrations and little visual details that make each adventure worth returning to again and again."
- Colin Waters, Diesel Bookstore, Oakland, CA
- 11/6: Oliver Chin: Baltazar & the Flying Pirates: Book Passage, 51 Tamal Vista Blvd., Corte Madera, CA, 10 am.
- 11/08: Oliver Chin: Baltazar & the Flying Pirates: Kepler's: 1010 El Camino Real, Menlo Park, CA, 11:30 am.
- 11/11: Justin Roth: Baltazar & the Flying Pirates: Long Island Children's Museum: 11 Davis Ave, Garden City, NY
- 11/12: Meomi: The Octonauts & the Great Ghost Reef: Clayton Books, Concord, CA, 10:30 am - 4 pm.
- 11/13: Meomi: The Octonauts & GGR: Book Passage, 51 Tamal Vista Blvd., Corte Madera, CA, 10 am.
- 11/13: Meomi: The Octonauts & GGR: Cartoon Art Museum, 655 Mission Street, SF, CA, 7 pm.
- 11/14: Meomi: The Octonauts & GGR: Books Inc, 1730 Fourth Street, Berkeley, CA, 11 am.
- 11/14: Meomi: The Octonauts & GGR: Given, 575 Castro St, San Francisco, CA, 1 pm.
- 12/6: Oliver Chin: Association of Chinese Culinary Teachers, Holiday Christmas Party, Merlion Singaporean, 19628 Stevens Creek Blvd., Cupertino, CA 95014.
- 12/7: Immedium: Kid Lit Salon - Book Passage, 51 Tamal Vista Blvd., Corte Madera, CA, 7 pm.
- 12/10: Immedium: Holiday shopping event, Regency Center - Sutter Room, 1270 Sutter St, SF, CA, 5 pm.
When life gives you a turkey, make some cranberry sauce.
P.O. Box 31846
San Francisco, CA 94131
Immedium, Inc. inspires a world of imagination, and creates entertaining books that have multi-dimensional appeal. Based in San Francisco, CA, Immedium sits on the Pacific Rim, a vibrant intersection for crossover cultural trends from Asia and America. Embracing an increasingly diverse and "multimedia" world, Immedium publishes titles ranging from eye-catching children's books and contemporary non-fiction to commentaries on art and popular culture. Visit us at www.immedium.com.
|Bookmark our Blog||Add us on Twitter||Snag a T-shirt|