October 2009 - Immedium
A. The Octonauts' 4th book arrives!
If it is October, then it must be time for the Octonauts! Their latest tale arrives in the USA later this month. Already fans are singing its praises:
"The Octonauts are back for another adventure in The Octonauts & the Great Ghost Reef by Meomi, the latest tale of the undersea by the team responsible for the design of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic mascots. The crew of eight adorable explorers helps out a turtle and brings an endangered coral reef back to health. The illustrations are delightful and a host of reef dwellers are beautifully presented, as other reef neighbourhoods are also explored. Despite this being designated a picture book for children 4-8, The Octonauts & the Great Ghost Reef is another fine example of top quality illustration that makes a fine book for anyone of any age to pore over."
- Art MoCo
Meomi's first story The Octonauts & the Only Lonely Monster was read this past weekend by Olympic athletes during Canada's national literary festival "The Word on the Street" (www.thewordonthestreet.ca). The authors visit the San Francisco Bay Area in early November so mark your calendars!
Pre-order your copy and Meomi will autograph your book and add a personal dedication of your choice.
B. Baltazar's Pirates fly high!
Storytimes for Baltazar and the Flying Pirates are buzzing from coast to coast. Illustrator Justin Roth wows kids with his drawing talents in New York, and author Oliver Chin walks the plank in California starting this weekend. New coloring pages are available - please share with you and your friends!
"I enjoyed the book immensely and found it utterly chARRRRRming! A dreamy holiday for a wee pirate with some colorful swashbuckling characters!"
- Cap'n Slappy, co-founder of Talk Like a Pirate Day (9/19)
Remember to enter our special giveaway!
One lucky winner will get an autographed 11 x 14 inch photo print of the book's cover! Just email us us a photo (or link to one) where your child (or you) is dressed up like a character from the story and holds a copy of the book. The submissions deadline in November 30th and we'll announce the winner in the December newsletter.
C. Notable Bits & Bytes
i. Time Magazine covered Desert to Dream: A Decade of Burning Man Photography.
Author Barbara Traub was interviewed about her iconic cover photo, as the annual arts celebration in Nevada's Black Rock Desert swirled onwards. See the video here. Then check out her 2009 photos in her Flickr gallery.
ii. Immedium displays our books at the "San Francisco Babes & Babies event" at the plush Jewish Community Center in San Francisco on Saturday, October 24th.
Tickets are 2 for $8 (online) or $5 each at the door. But we can provide our supporters a FREE entry code. RSVP to email@example.com, and we'll email you the code, which you input at www.appelandfrank.com. Come free and shop till you drop!
iii. The updated Immedium 2009 catalog is available for your viewing pleasure!
Download this Adobe Acrobat PDF (6 mb) today here on our catalog page. View our rainbow of titles instantly in the comfort of your own computer chair.
Baltazar and the Flying Pirates Baltazar and the Flying Pirates
(ISBN: 159702-018-3, $15.95)
"Justin is a very gifted artist who's classic style fills each page with fun and excitement. His old fashioned storytelling is an inspiration to many people."
-Rick Lacy, illustrator, "Labor Days" by Oni Press
The Octonauts & the Sea of Shade
(ISBN: 978-159702-010-7, $15.95)
"When we come across a new children's book that catches our fancy, we like to bring attention to it. The Octonauts & The Sea Of Shade tells the story of a crew of critters who love to explore the big blue ocean. From their undersea "Octopod" base, the eight talented animals are always ready for fun and excitement. The wonderful story is only complimented by the beautiful illustrations. Children fascinated by the ocean and water will fall in love with the story."
- Kids and Baby Design Ideas
- 10/3: Oliver Chin: Baltazar & the Flying Pirates: Books Inc: 2251 Chestnut St, San Francisco, CA, 11 am.
- 10/5: Oliver Chin: Baltazar & Pirates: Menlo Park Library, 800 Alma St., Menlo Park, CA, 6:30 pm.
- 10/6: Justin Roth: Baltazar & Pirates: Babesta Cribz, 56 Warren Street, New York, NY, 4 pm.
- 10/10: Oliver Chin: Baltazar & Pirates: NCIBA Trade Show, Oakland Convention Center, CA, 12:30 pm.
- 10/17: Oliver Chin: Baltazar & Pirates: Pinole Library: 2935 Pinole Valley Road, CA, 1 pm.
- 10/18: Oliver Chin: Timmy and Tammy's Train of Thought: Golden Gate Live Steamers, Tilden Park, Berkeley, CA, 11 am.
- 10/20: Oliver Chin: Comics Workshop: Fairfax Library, CA, 415-453-4517, 6:30 pm.
- 10/22: Oliver Chin: Comics Workshop: Novato Public Library, CA, 415-897-1142, 3:30 pm.
- 10/22: Oliver Chin: Comics Workshop: Corte Madera Public Library, CA, 415-924-6444, 6:30 pm.
- 10/24: San Francisco Babes & Babies event, Jewish Community Center, 3200 California St, San Francisco, CA, 10 am.
- 11/6: Oliver Chin: Baltazar & Pirates: Book Passage - School Book Fair, Corte Madera, CA, 10 am.
- 11/08: Oliver Chin: Baltazar & Pirates: Kepler's: 1010 El Camino Real, Menlo Park, CA, 11:30 am.
- 11/11: Justin Roth: Baltazar & Pirates: Long Island Children's Museum: 11 Davis Ave, Garden City, NY
- 11/12: Meomi: The Octonauts & the Great Ghost Reef: Clayton Books, Concord, CA, 4 pm.
- 11/13: Meomi: The Octonauts & GGR: Book Passage - School Book Fair, Corte Madera, CA, 10 am.
- 11/13: Meomi: The Octonauts & GGR: Cartoon Art Museum, 655 Mission St, San Francisco, CA, 7 pm.
- 11/14: Meomi: The Octonauts & GGR: Books Inc, 1730 Fourth Street, Berkeley, CA, 11 am.
- 11/14: Meomi: The Octonauts & GGR: Given, 575 Castro St, San Francisco, CA, 1 pm.
Whether you're sleepy or looky, curious and nooky, be all together booky.
P.O. Box 31846
San Francisco, CA 94131
Immedium, Inc. inspires a world of imagination, and creates entertaining books that have multi-dimensional appeal. Based in San Francisco, CA, Immedium sits on the Pacific Rim, a vibrant intersection for crossover cultural trends from Asia and America. Embracing an increasingly diverse and "multimedia" world, Immedium publishes titles ranging from eye-catching children's books and contemporary non-fiction to commentaries on art and popular culture. Visit us at www.immedium.com.
|Bookmark our Blog||Add us on Twitter||Snag a T-shirt|