September 2009 - Immedium
A. Baltazar and the Flying Pirates set sail!
We welcome our newest book Baltazar and the Flying Pirates, which lands on America's shores this week. If you visited a theme park this summer, this awesome adventure is for you! Plus enjoy vibrant illustrations by our newest artist, the talented Justin Roth.
"By day, alumnus Justin Roth (BFA Animation 2003) creates animations for the Saatchi & Saatchi advertising firm, but his newest project unfolds page by page instead of frame by frame. Baltazar and the Flying Pirates (Immedium, 2009) is a new children's book that features the swashbuckling take on traditional pirate stories, transporting classic characters like Captain Hook and Long John Silver into a contemporary story of a young boy looking for treasure buried beneath a pirate-themed amusement park. Roth illustrates the story, written by author Oliver Chin, in a lush style that echoes his animation work and keeps the action moving at a brisk pace."
- School of Visual Arts, New York, NY
Justin introduces the book to the Big Apple at the Children's Museum of Manhattan on September 27th, where he will teach kids how to create their very own pirates! Meanwhile author Oliver Chin will share the tale in California, as more events get scheduled from coast to coast.
We have a special giveaway!
- one lucky winner will get an autographed 11 x 14 inch photo print of the book's cover!
Just email us a photo (or link to one) where your child (or you) is dressed up like a character from the story and holds a copy of the book. The submissions deadline in November 30th, and we'll announce the winner in the December newsletter.
B. Octonauts #4 on the horizon!
As reliable as the tides, the next Octonauts' escapade arrives in October. Again our eight plucky heroes take to the high seas...for a fun vacation in The Octonauts & the Great Ghost Reef!
But they are surprised when their final destination turns out to be a Great Ghost Reef! But this is no "Scary Movie" as the crew take it upon themselves to discover why this has happened and help bring back living color to its rightful place!
As with their previous launches, the creators Meomi will visit the San Francisco Bay Area from November 12-14th to spread their unique brand of joy. More events from LA to Vancouver are in the works...
Again, if you pre-order a book today, Meomi will autograph your copy with a personalized dedication of your choice. So get ready to smile and join the Octonauts on another entertaining voyage!
C. Immedium meets and greets
Heading into the fall season, our authors and artists continue to share our books with an appreciative public:
"There are some publishing companies who publish such a variety of books that you couldn't really identify the books or the publisher on site. There are others, usually smaller by comparison publishers, who have their own unique blend and style to them. You can tell just by the cover art on a book who published it. Sometimes it's a story line, sometimes it's a main character. The books are their own culture. Immedium is one such publisher. Their books really stand out in a crowd."
- Reading to Know
Skaffs autographs his colorful tale Chaff n' Skaffs: Mai and the lost Moskivvy in Atlanta, GA this weekend at Dragon Con and Anime Weekend in 2 weeks. Later, he will visit the Japanese book mecca Kinokinuya in New York City.
In Northern California, Immedium will display our books for the first time at the Sonoma County Bookfest on 9/19. Then we'll attend the annual San Francisco Dragonboat Festival from 9/26-27, which is always a fantastic occasion to meet old friends and new readers.
Timmy and Tammy's Train of Thought
(ISBN: 159702-008-7, $15.95)
"Timmy and Tammy was a perfect fit for us! It is about a sibling set that love to read about trains and play with trains. One day their mother and father decide that it is time for them to ride a real train and so off they go on their own train ride adventure. The illustrations by Health McPherson make me think of I Dream of Jeannie. They are fun, whimsical, cartoonish, 1950's-ish and did I say fun? (Oh, I see that I did!) Great book and we've reread it multiple times."
- Reading to Know
The Octonauts & the Frown Fish
(ISBN: 978-159702-014-5, $15.95)
"Each character is cute and cuddly and looks like there should be a line of stuffed animals with their names on them. :) ůMy girls enjoyed this book and wanted more of these cute animal adventurers. There are three books in the series - this is the third - so I'll be on the lookout for them. If you have a little one that likes to color, I also recommend heading over to their website where you can print off color pages of different scenes from the book."
- Olive Tree
- 9/5: SKAFFS: Dragon Con, live painting and book signing: Atlanta, GA.
- 9/12: Oliver Chin: Storytime: Recess, 470 Carolina Street, San Francisco, CA, 11 am.
- 9/15: Oliver Chin: Comics Workshop: Saratoga Public Library, CA, 3:45 pm.
- 9/19: SKAFFS: Anime Weekend: Atlanta, Atlanta, GA.
- 9/19: Immedium, Sonoma County Book Festival, Sonoma, CA, 10 am
- 9/22: SKAFFS: Kinokuniya bookstore: New York, NY, 6 pm.
- 9/26-27: Immedium: San Francisco Dragon Boat Festival: Treasure Island, San Francisco, CA.
- 9/27: Justin Roth: Baltazar & the Flying Pirates: Children's Museum of Manhattan: 212 West 83rd Street, New York, NY, 3 pm and 4 pm.
- 10/3: Oliver Chin: Baltazar & the Flying Pirates: Books Inc: 2251 Chestnut St, San Francisco, CA, 11 am.
- 10/5: Oliver Chin: Baltazar & the Flying Pirates: Menlo Park Library, 800 Alma St., CA 94025, 6:30 pm.
- 10/6-9 TBD: Justin Roth: Baltazar & the Flying Pirates: Babesta, 66 West Broadway, New York, NY.
- 10/17: Oliver Chin: Baltazar & the Flying Pirates: Pinole Library: 2935 Pinole Valley Road, CA, 1 pm.
- 10/18: Oliver Chin: TTT Golden Gate Live Steamers, Tilden Park, Berkeley, CA, 11 am.
- 10/20: Oliver Chin: Comics Workshop: Fairfax Library, CA, 415-453-4517, 6:30 pm.
- 10/22: Oliver Chin: Comics Workshop: Novato Public Library, CA,(415) 897-1142, 3:30 pm.
- 10/22: Oliver Chin: Comics Workshop: Corte Madera Public Library, CA, 6:30 pm.
- 10/24: San Francisco Babes & Babies event, Jewish Community Center, 3200 California St, CA, 10 am.
Fall into a good book.
P.O. Box 31846
San Francisco, CA 94131
Immedium, Inc. inspires a world of imagination, and creates entertaining books that have multi-dimensional appeal. Based in San Francisco, CA, Immedium sits on the Pacific Rim, a vibrant intersection for crossover cultural trends from Asia and America. Embracing an increasingly diverse and "multimedia" world, Immedium publishes titles ranging from eye-catching children's books and contemporary non-fiction to commentaries on art and popular culture. Visit us at www.immedium.com.
|Bookmark our Blog||Add us on Twitter||Snag a T-shirt|